- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz whole, peeled tomatoes
- `3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh minced parsley
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 cups warm water
- Heat olive oil in a large pot, on medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until they become translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minutes.
- Add in tomato puree and whole tomatoes. Using the back of a spoon or a potato masher, lightly mash the mixture to break up the whole tomatoes, leaving some pieces.
- Add in sugar, salt, basil, thyme, oregano and bay leaves. Stir in water. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, to prevent sticking.
- Take off heat and stir in parsley and chia seeds.