- 1 cup butter, melted (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup instant coffee granules
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips + 1 cup more chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Grease a metal 9X13 pan and set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and coffee granules. Whisk together until combined well. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter and sugar and whisk together until sugar is completely mixed into the butter. Stir in vanilla. Whisk in eggs.
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients with a spatula, just until combined. Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips.Pour batter into greased pan and bake uncovered for 25 minutes, or until brownies are slightly underbaked but mostly firm.** Remove pan from oven, scatter remaining chocolate chips evenly over the top of the brownies. Place back in oven for 30 seconds, until the chocolate starts to melt.
- Remove from oven. Using a spatula or a butter knife, spread chocolate into an even coat. Let cool completely, allowing the chocolate to firm up before cutting into squares.
- Store in airtight container.
*I use alcohol free vanilla extract.
**If the edges start to look dry, cover with aluminum foil. The top of the brownie will start to resemble an unfrosted cake when slightly underbaked.