- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp taco seasoning (more if you like it bolder)
- 1/2 tsp salt (if needed or your taco seasoning is salt-free)
- 2 tbsp oil (I use olive oil but you can use any oil you’re comfortable with)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper., seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz shredded pepper jack cheese*
- 1/2 cup French’s fried jalapeños**
- Heat oil in a large cast iron pan or skillet on medium heat.
- Add onions, pepper, jalapeno, and garlic and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add ground beef and taco seasoning and stir to combine and brown the meat. Add the tomato paste and let simmer for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour and incorporate fully.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in milk and cook until the mixture starts bubbling, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fold in 1/4 cup of the fried jalapeños and cheese until cheese is fully melted. Top with remaining jalapeños and serve hot with tortilla chips.
* I used pepper jack because I like the spiciness but you can use monterey jack cheese for a milder flavor or a good melting cheese, not mozzarella.
**Not a paid advertisement