- 1 lb thinly sliced beef (preferably flank steak)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp plus additional, 1 tsp sesame oil divided
- 2 –3 cups fresh or frozen cut broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch grated ginger (1–2 tsp)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 1–2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 4 cups cooked white rice or noodles (optional)
- MAKE THE SAUCE: combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 cup water, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic in a medium bowl and whisk together. Add 3 tbsp of sauce to meat and set aside. Mix 1 cup cold water with cornstarch and stir into remaining sauce. Set aside.
- COOK THE BEEF: In a wok or heavy bottomed pan, heat 1 tbsp sesame oil on high heat. AWhen the oil is almost smoking, add onion and cook for 1 minute. Add beef and stir to combine. Cook for 5-8 mins until meat is seared on all sides and onion is caramelized. Add broccoli and saute until broccoli is tender but still crisp, about 5-8 minutes. Add sauce and cornstarch mixture and toss to coat. The sauce will thicken quickly. If it is drying out, add 1/4 cup water at a time, until sauce reaches desired consistency. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- GARNISH and SERVE: top with chopped green onion and sesame seeds, if desired. Serve with white rice or noodles, if desired.