- 1 lb pasta (elbow or shells)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp salt (I use kosher, use less for table salt)
- 1 tsp ground mustard powder (optional)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup whole milk (use up to 1/2 cup more if you want more sauce but adjust the salt accordingly)
- 4 oz cream cheese (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (I shred the cheese myself)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Add pasta, salt, mustard powder (if using) and water to the Instant Pot liner. Stir to make sure salt dissolved. Cover, switch pressure valve to seal. Press the manual setting, select high pressure, and adjust the time to 1 minute (for al dente) or 3 minutes (for well done). Bring to pressure and quick release the pressure once done cooking.
- Select the saute function on high and add cubed butter and milk. The butter should melt almost immediately. Stir in the cream cheese and allow the cream cheese to melt completely, about 45 seconds to a minute. Add the shredded cheese and melt completely. Turn the Instant Pot off and serve immediately.
TO REHEAT: simmer 1/4 cup milk with desired amount of mac and cheese. The pasta should become creamy. Be sure to adjust salt as you may need to add more.
STOVETOP DIRECTIONS:Cook pasta according to package directions, or until slightly firm. Drain and return to pot on low heat. Add salt, mustard powder, butter, and milk and allow milk to start simmering. Add in cream cheese and melt. Take off of heat and add cheddar and monterey jack cheese and stir until cheese melts completely. Serve hot.