- 1 lb ground chicken (breast or boneless, skinless chicken thigh)
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1–2 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to desired spice level)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- vegetable oil to brush pan or shallow fry
- Crush cumin, coriander, pomegranate, and red pepper flakes in a mortar and pestle to form a coarse powder, or grind in a spice grinder. Set aside.
- Squeeze out excess water in chicken and add in a large bowl. Combine chicken, garlic, ginger, salt, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, chickpea flour, egg, chia seeds, chili powder, turmeric, and spice mixture. Mix well.
- Wet hands or rub lightly with oil. Form golf ball sized balls and flatten into thin patties, about 1/8 inch in thickness. Freeze for 15 minutes if desired, to make patties firmer.
- Coat a non-stick pan with vegetable oil and heat on medium flame. Add 3-4 patties at a time. You should hear a sizzle as your put the patties in the pan. Cook each side for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and repeat with remaining kababs, oil pan between each batch of kababs.
- Serve with hot naan or chappati, chopped tomatoes and sliced onions if desired.