for the chicken:
- juice of 2 lemons (1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 heaping tsp ground coriander
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp water
for the sauce:
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- 2 tbsp 0% fat greek yogurt
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- juice of 1/2 lemon (2 tbsp)
- 4–5 tbsp warm water
for the salad:
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 ½ cups cucumber, seeded and diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- juice of ½ lemon (1–2 tbsp lemon juice)
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
for the rice:
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ras al hanout (or ½ tsp ground cinnamon)
- 2 cups long grain basmati rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- MARINATE THE CHICKEN: whisk lemon juice, water, and olive oil with all the spices for the marinade together. Coat chicken with marinade and set aside for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. If using slow cooker, add to slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3 hours. If cooking stovetop, reserve 1/4 of the marinade to add in at the end, after the chicken has cooked through.*
- MAKE THE SALAD: combine the vegetables and herbs, add salt and lemon juice and gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- MAKE THE SAUCE: Whisk together all ingredients, adding water 1 tbsp at a time, until the sauce is to desired consistency. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- MAKE THE RICE: heat olive oil in a pot with a lid on medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add turmeric and coriander and bloom or cook for 30 seconds, while stirring. Add rice and stir to coat well with spices. Add salt and slowly stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and gently stir in ras al hanout as you fluff with fork. Cover immediately and set in a warm place until ready to serve.
- ASSEMBLE PLATTER: Add rice to a bowl, layer with chicken and salad. Drizzle 1-2 tbsp sauce ove the top, along with hot sauce if desired.
- Serve with extra sauce and pita bread if desired.
*to cook stovetop, heat a pan or skillet on medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 5-8 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Take off heat and add reserved marinade to the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside.