- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 guajillo peppers, de-seeded and cut into strips
- 3 pasilla peppers, de-seeded and cut into strips
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 chicken or vegetable bouillon cubes*
- 6 cups water
- In a medium saucepan whisk in water to tomato paste and bring to a boil on medium heat. Add remaining spices (except flour) and continue boiling, stirring to prevent the sauce from boiling over, until peppers are soft, about 5-8 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until fully dissolved. Some lumps may remain. Cook for 2-4 minutes, until sauce thickens, coating the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Pour into the cup of a blender and puree until sauce is completely smooth.
- Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
*use vegetable bouillon if you want to make this a fully vegetarian sauce.