We interrupt your regularly scheduled whatever-it-is-you're-supposed-to-be-doing something to bring you this sweet, tangy, spicy bbq chicken pizza ring. *commence drooling*
Today, we are all about the pizza without the pizza. Huh? Don't leave yet-- I'm gonna guide you through this confusion.
This is the sort of thing that happens when you want a spicy bbq chicken pizza but happen to see a beautiful meatball pizza ring from Pinch Of Yum at the same time, after coming off a full month of no-sugar//no processed carbs clean-eating 30-day marathon. I fully appreciate all things yum- bread related. But first you have to consult with Google, where you end up with 10,000 crescent roll rings but nothing that satisfies that yeasty, doughy crust craving that can only come from hand-tossed pizza.
It's also the sort of thing that happens when I mention to The Mister that I saw something like it on a blog post for a cheesy meatball pizza ring and I have add it to the my longish list of recipes to make and then ask him again the week of the Super Bowl what he wants to have for dinner this week. And he digs deep into his mental bulletin of all conversations foodstuffs and pulls out the pizza ring I mentioned. Mister-- if you're reading this- well played sir, well played.
This situation works out especially well, if you're a procrastinator like me, and haven't actually thought about what you're making for that Super Bowl party you'll be hosting on Sunday, this little-work-big-payoff-pizza ring fits the bill as a totally portable, handheld sandwich type thing you can grab and wave animatedly at the TV, you know, for the love of all things football. Because isn't that what you're supposed to do during the Super Bowl, other than eat a little too much? So, I being the internet addicted blogger, turned this sweet and tangy goodness into a post, to encourage future procrastination of all things food and cooking.
Friends, while biscuit dough and crescent dough in a tube that explode when you release pressure with a spoon-- BTW, is that scary to just me or do you kinda fear that explosion of dough too?- I don't love the flavor or texture. My advice: save those rolls and biscuits for whatever else you're supposed to use the cans for- please someone tell me when you figure it out? I'll stick to my real-ish pizza dough.
I prefer pizza dough made with minimal, whole ingredients; refrigerated pizza dough is fine here but keep in mind that the texture and flavor will vary greatly, depending on the dough and brand. As for this specific ring, I ended up making my own one hour pizza dough, which I included as an alternative, if you have the time//burning desire//obsession to make pizza dough like I do.
I set out to make the pizza ring exactly as written- first time for everything, right?- but I had this idea that was either going to be a huge disaster OR I could creative football-y food and wow my guests with my outside-the-box thinking. I went rogue on this one. And before I could even second guess myself, even after I'd made the meatballs for the meatball pizza ring, I defrosted chicken breasts and pulled out the bbq sauce because I want that sweet and spicy combo in pizza form but I'm really not into committing a pizza form of bbq chicken right now.
Guys, this shredded chicken smothered in sweet and tangy (when it's me- spicy-) bbq sauce, thinly sliced red onions, gooey mozzarella are #squadgoals right now. And you know what that pizza dough does to that sauce that no dough in a tube can do? It ABSORBS that sauce. Like legit starts to be the stuff (my) dreams are made of. In the end, the pizza dough wears it way better. Be warned- you will need napkins.
So now, you have a chewy pizza crust, perfectly cooked but with tangy goodness, on top of the melty mozzarella. Forget the game-- I'm way into this pizza ring right now. What about you?
Other things to make for your epic Super Bowl party:
- cheeseburger pizza
- caramelized onion and butternut squash pizza
- hot oven baked sliders
- homestyle game-day chili
- baked honey sriracha wings
- accidentally outrageous brownies (Buzzfeed featured)
Shredded BBQ Chicken Pizza Ring
- Yield: 6 1x
- prepared refrigerated pizza dough (enough for 1 10-inch pie)
- 1 chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup bbq sauce of choice (I like a sweet and spicy sauce)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- sea salt to sprinkle on top
- 1 egg beaten (for egg wash)
- bbq sauce/ ranch dressing for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, onions, and ½ cup bbq sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- Roll out pizza dough into a 10-inch circle.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, make 3 intersecting cuts in the center of the pizza ⅓ of the way, that looks like you're cutting the dough into 6 pieces. DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY TO THE EDGE.
- Spread the remaining ½ cup of bbq on the crust.Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese evenly. Top with bbq chicken mixture and cilantro. Top with remaining cheese.
- Take the points of the previously cut sections in the center and fold them over the chicken mixture, overlapping with the outer edge of the pizza ring. Pull dough tight along edges to create tight pockets. Tuck neatly and press the overlapping edges to seal.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place a bowl filled with more bbq sauce or ranch dressing in the center of the ring and serve hot.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum's cheesy meatball pull-apart pizza ring.
leave a reply