- 1 6 lb lean beef brisket
- 5 cups hot water
- 1/2 medium head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, cut into thirds
- 4 medium carrots, spiralized (optional)
- 2 ribs celery, cut into thirds
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- for the brine:
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5–6 bay leaves
- 10–12 pods cardamom, lightly crushed
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorn, lightly crushed
- 2 tbsp allspice berries, lightly crushed
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp prague powder
- 1 gallon warm water
- MAKE THE BRINE: In a large bowl or pot, dissolve kosher salt and sugar in water. Add in all remaining spices and stir to mix together. Pour brine into a large pot or a brining bag and submerge brisket completely, adding more water if necessary. Refrigerate and let brine for a minimum of five days and up to ten days, checking on it daily and adding more water if necessary.
- PREPARE BRISKET FOR SLOW COOKER: remove brisket from brine and wash off brine completely. Place in slow cooker, add onions, carrots, and celery. Carefully pour hot water to cover the brisket. Don’t worry if the water doesn’t cover the entire brisket. Set on low for 8 hours.
- During the last hour of cooking, remove brisket carefully using tongs, and remove cooked carrots and celery. Add in sliced cabbage and spiralized carrots, if using, into the broth. Place brisket back on top and continue cooking for one hour.
- Remove from slow cooker and let rest for five minutes. Carve into slices, going against the grain. Serve with brown mustard and drained cabbage and carrot noodles if desired.