- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 15 oz cooked black beans
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups corn kernels (frozen or fresh)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (optional)*
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth**
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- for toppings (optional):
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- diced tomato
- shredded cheese of your choice
- sliced avocado
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium high. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the peppers and sprinkle in salt. Cook until vegetables become tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until fully cooked, and juices run clear, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper and stir scraping the bottom of the pan. Add in tomatoes and jalapeno peppers, stirring to incorporate.
- Add black beans and chicken broth, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Add corn kernels. Cover pot and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tortilla strips. They will start to soften into the liquid. Recover pot and continue simmering for 20-30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take off heat and serve immediately with toppings of choice.
*canned green chilies may be substituted
**2 chicken bouillon cubes may be substituted, dissolved in 4 cups of hot water (adjust the salt accordingly)